Australian Fashion Labels – the Adelaide-based company whose labels now have over 3,000 stockists worldwide and satellite offices in Melbourne, Los Angeles and Shanghai – haS enjoyed exponential growth since its inception in 2007.
Each of the company’s labels – C/MEO COLLECTIVE, Finders Keepers, Keepsake, The Fifth Label, and Jaggar - represent a distinct aesthetic within the contemporary womenswear market, through their focus on on-trend shapes, exclusive prints and quality fabrications.
With an online and bricks-and-mortar presence in retailer BNKR, Australian Fashion Labels continues to be one of the most exciting fashion houses in Australia.
We are seeking a talented and driven Assistant Designer to work closely in supporting our Head Designer in leading the first of our labels - Finders Keepers. Defined by its effortlessly sexy aesthetic from simple party wear to must-have ‘it girl’ style, the label’s monthly ranges are fun and flirty - items that become staples in every wardrobe, with their flattering and versatile shapes.
Based in our Adelaide Head Office, our Assistant Designer directly supports our Head Designer and the Design Team in translating the vision and aesthetic of the label into aspirational yet practical product that resonates with our wholesale and retail customers.
Your daily tasks include design based responsibilities such as illustrating designs on CAD, creating and maintaining tech packs and ensuring information supplied leads to correct translation of the intended design. Further, you will take ownership of certain stage gates and administrative tasks necessary for the overall operation of the brand. It is crucial that you continually manage various tasks and priorities, adhering to deadlines and communicating accordingly.
You will work collaboratively with the Design Team to further grow and develop the brand, and ultimately maximise sales. Taking a proactive approach, you will contribute to your team’s KPI targets and goals, whilst also meeting or exceeding your own. You will provide mentorship and support to Junior Designers and contribute to an engaged team environment.
The main responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Supporting the Head Designer and the wider Design Team to facilitate the entire design and development process;
- Directly assisting the Head Designer to manage the critical path, stage gates, milestones and all aspects of the PDRP and other design processes, to ensure adherence to key dates and milestones;
- Assisting the Head Designer with task allocation, workload and workflow management within the Design Team;
- Providing mentorship, support and training to Junior and Junior Assistant Designers – feeding back to our Head Designer accordingly;
- Working closely with the Head Designer to develop and communicate the brand voice and aesthetic, ensure all creative output is in line with this vision;
- Having a strong knowledge and appreciation for your brand’s customer, commerciality, seasonality and international markets;
- Ensuring your team is prepared for all stage gates and sign off meetings with Design Support and Creative Director at all stage gates, presenting all required information clearly and appropriately;
- In the absence of the Head Designer or Junior Designers, you may be required to take on additional responsibilities (including those at a higher level) in order to maintain the critical path;
- Seeking out feedback and opportunities to improve personal skill sets, engaging with training provided by senior staff and the company generally;
Fashion Design & Development
- Researching, trend forecasting and mood board creation;
- Translating initial sketches into CAD sketches and working with Design Team to prepare all tech packs, ensuring accurate translations of intended designs;
- Working with Head Designer to develop colours and prints in line with range direction;
- Assisting with compiling and maintaining all range boards;
- Managing the updating and addition of new styles into GLASS, Range and Costing Master Sheets throughout the development process;
- Coordinating strike off and lab dip submission, revisions and approvals, maintaining regular communication with supplier and ensuring adherence to timeline;
- Attending all fittings (first, revised and further) and recording fit notes - assisting with fits as required;
- Overseeing the maintenance and updating of tech packs to reflect changes throughout fitting and development process;
- Working with suppliers to manage costings from initial target RRP through to sign off;
- Negotiating on costings in order to meet AFL acceptable margins and target prices;
- Other ad hoc tasks related the design, development and production for the brand;
- Ability to work well under pressure and in a collaborative team environment.
- Affinity with fashion, an instinct for style and an eye for aesthetics.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Energetic, enthusiastic and passionate.
- Highly organised with the ability to prioritise tasks and continually meet tight deadlines.
- Ability to apply technical / functional expertise to support with creating innovative products.
- Excellent communication skills and a natural ability to build relationships with a network of suppliers.
- Mentorship skills and an ability to train junior staff.
- Alignment with AFL culture, policies and personnel procedures.
To be successful in this role you will have:
- Relevant tertiary qualification in Fashion or Textile Design.
- Minimum 2-3 years experience in an assistant level design position within fashion industry.
- Proficiency using design programs such as CAD, Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign.
- Mac literacy.